Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Volunteer love.

Can I just send a little love out to my volunteers? 'Cause I do love them. They're so great!

I have about 15 volunteers from the local highschool who I have been working into the gallery fabric. They have been serving as extra hands at children's workshops - running their legs off to demands of fresh paintbrush water, manning the hot glue gun station, or simply providing encouragement and helping a little one talk out and articulate how they're going about their artistic vision. Just this month I was able to have this group of volunteers run an Easter Egg hunt entirely on their own. This was an Easter Egg hunt that is usually an annual affair but was on the precipice of not happening this year because the usual recreation staff were shorthanded and busy with a hockey tournament. Thankfully we had these volunteers who were willing and able to step up and facilitate the egg hunt for the community kids! It turned out to be a beautiful day perfect for an Egg Hunt in the park that brought out dozens of kids and their families.

I also have one volunteer who is coming in on her Saturdays, every two or three weeks, to work at the gallery. This weekend was the first Saturday and I came in this morning to a clean and organized storage room! Suddenly it seems so spacious! This has been an item on my to-do list for so long now, but kept gettting bumped to the bottom of the priority list. She seemed to gladly take it on for me, and installing the next exhibition should be so much easier with all of the hanging materials in one, organized place!

The volunteers seem to love being asked and the opportunity to help out (I know I would have loved the gallery exposure in highschool), and I love having their helping hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment